The Visual Arts program is guided by developmentally sequential activities in 2D and 3D design principles of:
|collage||threads and textiles||modelling|
These main areas incorporate the use of artistic elements for:
to develop and extend skills whilst promoting an awareness of the aesthetics of art through appreciation and understanding of their own art and the art of adults.
At Ashburton we aim to foster:
- Creativity and imagination
- Sequential development of skills and processes
- Exposure to the art of different cultures and prominent artists of the world, both traditional and contemporary.
- Exploration and manipulation of a variety of mediums.
- Expression of feelings, ideas and emotions
- An ability to make aesthetic judgments about pieces of art by responding to their own work, peers work and recognised artist.
Students attend a regular 50 minute lesson and all students are required to have a clearly named art smock to protect their clothing. These are stored in their classroom. Some lessons will only require one session, while others might run over several lessons and culminate in a major piece of work.
The art room is also open for the first half of lunchtime on Tuesday and Thursday. During this time, students have the freedom to create art using a range of available materials.
Miss Laura Weston